Date:      Sun, 13 Nov 2011 07:41:27 -0500
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't access a music CD (or any other media now)
References:  <4E924B4D.4050801@centurytel.net> <20111010063740.GA23603@orange.esperance-linux.co.uk> <4E92BF3C.8080807@centurytel.net> <20111010104450.GA28895@orange.esperance-linux.co.uk> <4E9616FD.5080404@centurytel.net> <447h49yed0.fsf@lowell-desk.lan> <4E9627A6.8000907@centurytel.net> <44vcrtohej.fsf@lowell-desk.lan> <20111013162524.GA75476@freebsd.org> <44wrc8iz09.fsf@be-well.ilk.org> <20111018195712.GA18773@freebsd.org> <4E9F7899.6070401@centurytel.net> <20111020051902.1d120865.freebsd@edvax.de> <20111023153829.216f1a49@cox.net> <20111023192515.5c3da303@cox.net> <20111113044456.431cb4b2@cox.net>

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 04:44:56 -0600
Conrad J. Sabatier articulated:

> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:25:15 -0500
> "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 15:38:29 -0500
> > "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > No, it seems that there's a severe level of "brokenness" that has
> > > been introduced into the source tree with regards to CD devices.
> > > I've been exploring this issue on my own system the last couple of
> > > days, and am no closer to arriving at a solution than when I first
> > > started.
> > >
> > > None of the CD-related apps I have installed are working.
> > > cdcontrol will read an audio CD OK, it seems, but playback is
> > > useless, since, like most newer machines, I have no direct
> > > connection between the CD drive and the audio device.
> > >
> > > Apps such as kscd, xmcd, etc. report no disc or no device found.
> > > grip (using cdparanoia) will detect an audio disc and even fetch
> > > the correct cddb info, but ripping fails completely.  xmms
> > > reports "no appropriate ioctl for device".
> > >
> > > This is progress?
> >
> > OK, I've made a little headway here.  At least, I've managed to get
> > cdrtools to work once again, after rebuilding/installing the port
> > and setting the default device to the SCSI address (1,0,0) of cd0
> > instead of the device name.  Grip is now working with cdda2wav.
> > Hallelujah!  :-)
> >
> > Still can't seem to get plain old audio CD playback working with
> > anything, though.  :-(
> >

> Ah-ha!  After plowing through a ton of ports and docs tonight, I
> finally had a "Eureka!" moment.
>
> It seems that it's quite possible to fashion a "poor man's" CD player
> app (script) out of the following cdda2wav command options (got this
> example from the man page):
>
> cdda2wav -q -e -t4 -d0 -N
>
> In this case, "-t4" means to play track 4.  Using "-B" instead, would
> play the whole disc.
>
> The command simply sends the data to the soundcard (/dev/dsp) as it's
> being ripped.  In combination with a few other cdda2wav options to
> obtain the CDDB info for the disc, one could fairly easily whip up a
> little CD player script.
>
> I'm a man on a mission now!  :-)  I *will* be "rolling up my sleeves"
> and hacking together some shell code in the days to come.  May even
> wind up submitting the finished product as a new port for the benefit
> of other folks out there still struggling to play their CDs since the
> CD infrastructure changed not too long ago.
>
> Light!  I see light at the end of the tunnel!  :-)

I applaud your enthusiasm. I actually tend to try and reinvent the wheel
from time to time myself. Not so much because I feel the wheel has an
inherent flaw but rather because I just like a good challenge. While
such endeavors might prove useful from strictly a theoretical research
point of view, in practice they can seriously reduce productivity.

I often wonder what happened to the premise that computers should make
man's life easier, not harder. Why should users be force to go to these
extremes to just play an audio CD when other OSs all ready have that
capability sans ruminating for such a simple task.

Again, good luck. I won't be partaking of your research since I have
other PCs near me that are fully capable of preforming the relatively
simple task of playing an audio CD. However, if you do get some free
time perhaps you could invest it in some really socially advantageous
work such as find a cure for cancer. Now that would be something that
all could appreciate.

--
Jerry ✌
jerry+fbsd@seibercom.net

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or ignored.
Do not CC this poster. Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.