Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 09:34:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>, Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

> Why am I aguing with everybody these days? Quite strange - still I have
> to disagree. For quite some time VLB actually was the high speed
> alternative to  the ISA bus.

So was EISA.  The point is that we didn't need a VLB bus and we almost
certainly didn't need PCI - we just needed to finish making EISA
better (wider and faster) and we'd have then seen motherboards with 8
or more *entirely general purpose* slots, not this split bus crap we
see now.  The decision to kill EISA was a pure marketing one - nobody
wanted people to keep their old boards since those were already sold.
They wanted everyone to buy new and totally incompatible boards.

Besides, anybody who's actually tried just to *plug a VLB board in*
knows that VLB was the bus equivalent of the anti-christ.  I have a
VLB video card (#9) that I had to take the friggin' guide pin off of
just because actually screwing it down would cause the board to pop
back out of the socket, and my experience was hardly unique.

I repeat: Feh.

					Jordan