Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:14:38 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Makoto Matsushita <matusita@jp.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel panic with panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small...

Makoto Matsushita wrote:
> After upgrading my 5-current box (as of late September 2002), the
> kernel panics periodically with following message:
>
>     panic: kmem_malloc(4096): kmem_map too small: 107651072 total allocated
>
> The number '4096' and '107651072' is always the same.  What am I
> missing something?

This was recently discussed on -current.  I posted a dumb patch
that "fixes" the problem.

Jeff Roberson is looking at fixing the problem "the right way"
right now.

Until then, though, you can still use my patch (it makes UMA use
kmem_alloc_wait, instead of kmem_malloc).

See the archive of the posting, for more details:

<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1612532+0+archive/2002/freebsd-current/20021013.freebsd-current>;

-- Terry