Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 11:28:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alok K. Dhir" <adhir@iagi.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   On the install procedure

I have a couple of comments about the install:

1.  During any extraction processes, one has to sit there and wait with
nothing to do.  It would be nice if on the Alt-F2 screen the
untar/ungzipping would be done verbosely so that one could watch the
various filenames go zipping by.  That's much easier to sit through than a
static screen and a churning disk.  This should be pretty easy to do I
suspect.

2.  It would be nice if tzsetup would either set your CMOS clock to
GMT for you, or at least tell you what the heck to set it to based on
your timezone.  It took me a while to figure out what the heck GMT was so
I could set the CMOS clock to it.

3.  The sysinstall asked me twice what my net info was, and still didn't
retain it.  Once during package retrieval when I told it to get them via
FTP.  Again after the install to set up some basic files.  Yet when it
rebooted, I was still using myname.mydomain.com.  It didn't change until
I went through sysconfig and changed it myself.  I think the only place it
added my host info was to the hosts file.

Can't think of anything else offhand.  It is basically an excellent
install - easier than any other Unix I've installed (Linux, UnixWare,
NextStep, OSF/1 3.2 (on an Alpha)).  I think the FTP install is a great
idea.

Congrats, BTW.  2.0.5 (close enough anyway, I'm running a SUP of about
5/25/95) is rock solid - as solid, in fact, as our old 1.1.5.1 box.  Yep,
I said old - I've updated it to FreeBSD 2.0-BUILT-19950528 and it is
working great!

(knocking on wood)

Alok K. Dhir
Internet Access Group, Inc.