Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 23:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pine and Pico

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> At 12:28 AM 6/17/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

> I appreciate your attitude on this, but:
>
> (1) My question was so simple I was sure it has been asked before.

Unfortnately, this is the #1 reasons that people on non-questions mailing
lists WANT people to send questions to questions.  If you have unusual
questions which you are certain have never been asked before, there are
plenty of places to ask.  Questions, ultimately, is a place for
"run-of-the-mill" questions, not "mind-benders".

Easily 50% (and my best guess is more like 80%) of the questions asked on
questions have been asked before, in some form or another.

> (2) There are hundreds of questions a day being asked and answered in that
> newsgroup (I should know, I was subscribed to it for exactly half a day),
> one or two from me a week isn't going to contribute much of anything,
> unless they're very esoteric and technical questions that have likely not
> been asked before.

This is not a problem.  The folks on questions frequently answer questions
with CCs to the questioner, which edifies both the original supplicant
(even those who are not subscribed to questions) and the adoring masses
(including those who adore from afar, via the mailing list archives).

[...]

> >Asking a question, any question, in freebsd-questions is making a
> >contribution back to the community.

which is why this is true.

bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/