Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:00:24 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux vs FreeBSD

First I want to say I don't want generate "holy wars" ... these are only
personal opinion :-)

I installed a Red Hat which is considered the flagship of the Linux
distribution in an empty partition (and it get two , damn it because it
doens't know that partitions can be sub-divided in slice for swap i.e.).
After a little use , I don't succeded in understand why a person would
prefer Linux instead FreeBSD, which in my opinion is far better.

1) FreeBSD is easier to install and it install in a more intuitive way. The
Linux "innovative" graphical fdisk is, in my opinion, very obscure.

2) The packages selection of Red Hat is a pain.

3) The configuration of a Linux box is quite different from a FreeBSD one,
but I think ours is far superior even if I can't judge this because I have
the habit of configuring only FreeBSD boxes.
I like very much the idea to have a single file full of "options" to
customize the system.

4) I love the centralized way to stay in sync with cvsup. We have installed
a cvsup server (cvsup.masternet.it or 194.184.65.3) which not only mantain
in sync the ISP boxes, but also all the boxes I have installed here and
there (friends, company, university...) . Thanks also to cvsup4.freebsd.org
which I polled at every 24th minute :-)

The only thing I have found I like in linux more than FreeBSD is the infos
the /proc file system give back to users, info like cpuinfo, mem etc etc .
Okay things that can be usefull only few times but I think they can be used
by other programs like systeminfo and similar. Why not to extend our /proc
file system ?

I think if one can choose the distribution shares of the two OSes would be
very different from the actual ones ... The problem is , especially in
Italy, that on ten shops, only two, perhaps three have FreeBSD while
everyones have Linux. And if they have Linux they have the last
distributions, while of FreeBSD is easy they could have old version. If
you, that don't know anything or have only vague ideas about UNIX world,
arrive in a shop and want a UNIX like operating system you take what you
find first. And it's a pity on 10 times 7 or 8 it is Linux. My local
bookstore don't have any books on BSD while it is full of books on Linux.
Some of them are in Italian, too.
So it is a cat that eats it's tail (Jordan perhaps understand the
picture... I see he is full of cats :-)
More avaliability, more sells, more users, more interest and so on...

Ok, let's finish to speak and go to populate the world with another FreeBSD
box. :-)

Thanks for your time and attention (if any :-).

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it