Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 09:16:27 +0800 (CST)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au, robinson@netrinsics.com
Cc:        adrian@ubergeeks.com, blk@skynet.be, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum performance testing...

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
>> Also, keep in mind that vinum does very little in the way of sanity checking.
>> It's very happy to trash your data if you tell it to do something even a
>> little bit unusual.
>>
>> After getting seriously burned (fortunately, during initial system
>> configuration), I've sworn off vinum for any sort of critical production
>> use.
>
>Of course, this is an absurdly myopic view to take of a product that's
>still under development.  It's people like yourself and statements like
>that that give open-development software products a bad name.  8(

Well, I'm sorry if my view came across as myopic.  There are many applications
where I could see vinum put to productive use.  However a 24x7 business-
critical production environment isn't one of them.

People who are looking for vinum to replace hardware RAID drivers in such
environments should be made aware that vinum isn't up to the rock-solid
standard of reliability as the rest of the FreeBSD operating system, and
won't be for a while.

Right up to the point where it wiped out my installation, I was very happy
with it, though.

	-Michael Robinson