Date:      Sat, 30 May 2009 18:26:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      vogelke+unix@pobox.com (Karl Vogel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: find and searching for specific expression in files

>> On Sat, 30 May 2009 11:25:12 +0200,
>> "Zbigniew Szalbot" <z.szalbot@lcwords.com> said:

Z> Can you please give me a hint how to use find to search for a specific
Z> text within files?

   People have mentioned using xargs in combination with find, but if
   you're dealing with Windows files on a server, be prepared for every
   kind of crap character in the filename you can imagine.  Use nulls
   to delimit the filenames, i.e.:

      find . -mtime +7 -print0 | xargs -0 grep -i foo

   The GNU versions of find and xargs support the "0" options as well.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

iPod changed my life.
Earbuds made me look so cool!
Now I am stone deaf.              --geek haiku