Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:44:07 -0700
From:      Bob Beck <beck@bofh.cns.ualberta.ca>
To:        Bram Van Dam <bramspam@pandora.be>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aac support

> Of course, sooner or later someone will kindly point them in the
> direction of electronic documentation, in which case I'm sure they'll
> come up with the "oops, our Acrobat licence expired"-excuse.

	Your flippant reply, doesn't illustrate the source of the real
problem.  Companies in the U.S. are driven by two things, Public
customer feedback, and a collection of Lawyers, Accounants, Marketing
Types, and other Feather Merchants. Normally the second collection of
idiots decides what the company should be doing based on it's notion
of whatever they can do to achieve "customer traction" - the best
description of what that is is the friction between the customers
knees and elbows and the floor when they're in a favorable position
for the company.

	Companies taken over by this sort of evil will inevitably
do as little as possible, and release as little as possible, unless
forced. they know they have ot at least pay lip service to free
software, but now the latest trend is to find a willing shill who
will sign an NDA, produce a "binary only" layer so they don't have
to release full documentation, Why? because their lawyers and marketing
types don't think it's important, and won't, ever, unless customers
say so. Otherwise sane people in the company will be unable or
unwilling to fight the pit vipers unless there is ammunition from
the commnity to support it.

	Projects welcoming support for hardware that can only
be supported in this way encourage this sort of thing continuing.
While I understant and empathize with the attitude of a developer
who wants to do this to help people whose hardware otherwise wouldn't
work at all, making support work partially, or via NDA, removes the
pressure from the company to release stuff so their hardware is
supportable. The "free" os can now say that it supports it, so the
users think they are happier. The company can now pay lip service
publicly to say "we support free os's" - the fact that they really
don't is completely lost on the customers. Who loses? the free
software community as a whole.

	OpenBSD has a definate stance againse this sort of
binary only layer support. FreeBSD now seems to be incorporating
binary only support into it's kernel, which is kind of sad, but
that's their choice.

	I think customers of these companies need to stand up
and be counted to say that they don't like hardware that can only
be fully supported under NDA.  Only vocal customer feedback lets
the sane people within a company fight the lawyers and other bottom
feeders to do the right thing.  I think people should be asking
if they want to use hardware like this, and if they really want
it supported by default. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with
a piece of hardware that says "NDA only - run windows, or a particular
version of linux that you can load our driver on".  But I don't
think a free OS should encourage this by including support for
this, so users think they are buying supported hardware when they
really are buying a ball and chain.

	-Bob