Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 21:47:19 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum performance testing...

At 09:43 AM 9/16/99 +0800, Michael Robinson wrote:
>My biggest objection to vinum is that it will do what you tell it to,
>and then complain afterwards, rather than complain about it at the time
>you try to do it.  Two good examples:
>
>1. You can add drives partitions that haven't yet been MAKEDEV'ed
>   into the filesystem.  They will be added to the vinum configuration
>   information.  Then vinum will give profuse messages about
>   inaccessible devices.

Not quite sure I follow this.  I *may* have seen similar behaviour in the
past, but think of it as pilot error that was easy to fix.

Were you using sysinstall to setup the partitions?  I find that
post-install use of sysinstall doesn't always create the devices.

>2. You can create a striped plex from unequally-sized subdisks.  The
>   plex will be added to the vinum configuration information.  Then
>   vinum will give profuse messages complaining that striped subdisks have
>   to be the same size.

Pretty sure that this is not advised and you should ensure that striped
plexes are the same size.  Never tried using a length of zero on uneven
subdisks (should work, IMO), but see your point.

Looks like some sanity checks are needed to avoid pilot error.

>This was 3.3-RC bits, last week.  The specific action was this:  I had
>a 0+1 configuration.  One of the mirrored plexes was suffering from problem
>#2 above, so I had deleted it.  However, because the "vinum start" command
>apparently opens all the partitions and keeps them open, I couldn't change
>the disklabel on the odd-sized partition.  So, I tried to manually start
>the other plex by "vinum read disk1" followed by "vinum read disk2",
>instead of "vinum read disk1 disk2".  What happened after that was the
>two subdisks of the striped plex were essentially trashed.  All sorts of
>really cool kernel side effects were visible at that time, such as streams
>of garbage characters on the console that precluded an orderly shutdown.
>A couple of hard restarts later, and there wasn't anything left to salvage.

Not up to trying this at the moment, but you should have been able to fix
this.  Did so with a 0+1 setup, but it was a bit tedious.  Don't care to
answer this one publicly, since what I do may not be the "proper" way, but
it does work and allows some variation.

Documentation or examples pertaining to fixing and recovering from problems
is lacking, as well as adding/removing objects.  The latter I pointed out
to Greg after mucking my way through it.

>I have extensive experience with Veritas Volume Manager under Solaris.  In
>many ways, I think vinum is an excellent replacement.  However, it very much
>seems that it is still in the "try to make it work" stage of development
>and hasn't yet entered the "try to break it" stage.

One thing mentioned quite a while back the configuration management need
work and your experiences show that it still does.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve
'86 Yamaha MaxiumX (not FBSD powered)