Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:49:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@citeweb.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, arch@freebsd.org, kevin.way@overtone.org
Subject:   Re: New rc.d init script roadmap

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org> writes:
> > [...]
> > # PROVIDE: nfsd
> > # REQUIRE: mountd
> > [...]
> > All the dependency information is coded in comments. Although, with the
> > required_vars there, it doesn't help to put nfs_server=YES unless you
> > specifically enable mountd and rpcbind, it doesn't do squat.
>
> This is what rcorder(8) is for.

you are wrong, rcorder isn't usable in such condition.
it can be only used at boot time w/ all files in parameter.

let's try :

cat << EOF > /tmp/nfsd
# PROVIDE: nfsd
# REQUIRE: mountd
EOF
cat << EOF > /tmp/mountd
# PROVIDE: mountd
EOF
rcorder /tmp/nfsd
rcorder: requirement `mountd' in file `/tmp/nfsd' has no providers.
/tmp/nfsd

Gordon (and I) say he would be allowed to do :

/etc/rc.d/nfsd [force]start

which start mountd (and rpcbind) if required.
using NetBSD rc script, this is not feasible in the current state.

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre@citeweb.net