Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 1996 10:21:52 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph P. Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape3 doesn't install into app-defaults

Christoph P. Kukulies wrote in message ID
<199609031243.OAA10083@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>:
> > There is no such place. Netscape SPECIFICALLY recommends that you DO
> > NOT install Netscape.ad in the app-defaults directory.

> Then I wonder why /usr/local/bin/netscape contains:   :-)

> #!/bin/sh
> export XKEYSYMDB ; XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB
> export XNLSPATH  ; XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls
> export XAPPLRESDIR ; XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults

Netscape, like any big modern computer corporation, realises that a
lot of modern users don't know what they are doing, and like shooting
themselves in the foot. This is their support for the
`self-mutilation' fans amongst the newbie community, who like paying
an arm and a leg for a 2 hour phone call which results in the support
poerson going off in disgust to get some more coffee, leaving the user
with the comment `Boy, you are THICK, aren't you?'.

Or, in other words, it's for people who know what they are doing :-)

Gary