Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:02:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ports to NT (was Win32...)

> > The FS call themselves don't care about / vs \ and the directory
> > lookup is case insensitive, so I don't know what you are seeing.
>
> Apparently, you haven't seen the POSIX subsystem of Windows NT.  These are
> NOT Win32 programs, they run in a separate protected subsystem which has
> its own limited API (basically a subset of "libc") that enforces case
> sensitivity and / for directory pathnames.  It also has no provision for
> graphics or network calls.  The particular POSIX utilities I'm referring
> to are on the NT 3.51 Resource Kit CD-ROM in a POSIX subdirectory.

Apparently you thought I was referring to the POSIX library rather than
the Win32 FS API on which it is built.

I was noting that it was a deficiency of the POSIX subsystem, not a
deficiency of NT.

The 32 bit MKS tools for WinNT/Win95 don't have these deficiencies.

> As I said above, I was referring to POSIX subsystem programs which are
> NOT Win32.  I hope Microsoft realized their mistake with the whole
> subsystem idea since neither the OS/2 1.x nor POSIX subsystems are very
> useful, and Win16 and DOS are included inside the Win32 subsystem, so
> in retrospect, they didn't need subsystems after all!  Now, if somebody
> were to make a MacOS or FreeBSD-binary-emulation subsystem, that would
> be a different story!  :-)

Linux might be possible, in that it uses a call gate for traps.

> > Actually, I'd like to see a help file compiler and X and command line
> > readers for BSD.  8-).
> >
> > Something like the SDK's HCW.EXE ("Help Workshop").  8-).
>
> TWIN has its own WinHelp viewer, and Bristol sells a commercial version.
> Personally, I like the SGML/HTML format for help the best, but it is too
> inconvenient (not to mention slow!) to start up Netscape within your
> application just to view online help.  That's one of the problems with
> programming for Unix, there is no standardization for help, even though
> Motif says every program must have it, they don't say how!  :-(

Yes.  That's what I want to see.  A standardized help source format,
a standard "compiled" help format, and a standard text and X viewer.

SGML would really be ideal, actually; there is a need for SGML tools
as well (not just HTML tools) that you can give a DTD as part of
startup and have it act like HTML or whatever.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.