Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:36:03 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org, lakes!rivers
Subject:   sio issues (silo overflows on a pentium, locked in ttywait, etc...)

Ok - I know it's been some time since 2.1.5 came out; but I'm
finally getting to installing it.

The main reason I'm getting to this (besides the fact that I have
vacation now) is that I'm dying to move up from 2.1.0 to try
and fix the locked-up sio problems I'm experiencing.  (Details:
a 386dx-33 with an AHA1542B; any 38400 connection eventually
hangs in ttywait.  This is *with* the fix to the spl levels in the
VM from last June.)

Anyway, after tripping over the "I'm dead.." phenomena and discovering
you have to have a nameserver entry, even if you're not using it (I
was wondering why I was saving all that old mail...) - I'm now
finally on the way to installing 2.1.5 on my Pentium 75 laptop.

However, I'm rather distressed to see:

  sio0: 1 more silo overflow (total n)

messages popping out on VTY-2.  This is with a 19200 connection,
the sending machine (of course, not experiencing any overflows)
is a 486dx-66.   The receiving machine is a Pentium 75, with 16550a
uarts!   This is a direct connection through a NULL modem with
brand new cables, with '-h' specified on both slattach's, so rts/cts
is being used...

Seems to me a Pentium 75 should be able to keep up with 19200, and
hopefully be able to do much better...  am I the only one tripping
over these sio issues?  Is there some other magic to setting rts/cts
that I don't know about?  Is there any hope my 386dx with 16550As will
be able to handle anything higher than 19200 without locking up?

	  - Thanks -
	- Dave Rivers -