Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:56:50 +1000
From:      "Shevland, Joe" <Joe.Shevland@Central.tased.edu.au>
To:        "'nate@mt.sri.com'" <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "'java@FreeBSD.ORG'" <java@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'marketing@javasoft.com'" <marketing@javasoft.com>
Subject:   Re: jdk1.1.6.V98-7-21.tar.gz

Patrick Gardella wrote:

> On 06-Aug-98 Nate Williams wrote:
> >> Hum.  I wonder if they have a commercial license, or if we can
arrange with
> >> Sun to distribute it freely on the CD.  I'll follow that up.
> >
> > A commercial license costs close to a million $$.  I talked with
someone
> > whose company actually bought one, and there's no way WC is going to
do
> > that just to distribute the JDK.
> >
> > As far as SUN allowing giving dispensation, I gave up on trying to
have
> > any meaningful relationship with them.  They promised 6-9 months ago
> > that we (the FreeBSD java porters) would get access to the JDK1.2
> > sources long before they went public.  I kept on them for weeks
until
> > they finally quit answering email.  Apparently the Linux folks have
the
> > same problem, and their advocate *works* for Javasoft.
>
> Well that certainly answers that.  Oh well.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Patrick

I know Javasoft have had an upheaval of some description recently; they
might need to get their act together or have possibly lost some staff
that previously were handling this issue.

Having said that, I think its poor that they are destroying an obviously
crucial business partner in the Linux/FreeBSD camps. I would have
thought they'd love to get the JDK out to as many people as possible...
obviously they don't need the support I thought they did.

Joe.