Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:16:35 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>, Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

On Nov 18,  8:42am, Bill Fenner wrote:
} In message <199611180918.BAA15007@salsa.gv.ssi1.com>you write:
} >I don't need a compiler, and I don't want to make
} >it any easier than necessary for some cracker d00d to compile his r00t
} >kit.
}
} If you want to save space, that's fine, but don't delude yourself by thinking
} that your cracker d00d can't just go find someone on IRC with a FreeBSD box
} who will send him binaries.

I'm not counting on gaining much security that way, but my philosophy
is to remove everything that isn't absolutely needed.  What isn't present
can't be used against me.  I do consider the importation of any files
to be a security breach.

I just thought of a totally wicked way of guarding against imported binaries,
though.  Just randomize the syscall numbers when building the kernal and
userland binaries.  For best effect, the userland binaries should be
statically linked and the shared libraries removed.  As long as the kernel
can withstand crashme, it should be fine ;-)  Too bad it looks like such
a pain to do this :-(

Another possibility would be to digitally sign all the binaries and hack
the kernel to only run binaries with the proper signature.

			---  Truck