Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:27:26 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebooting and related topics..

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > I've added a small callout list to the reboot code so that we and
> > other third party types can add modules which require actions at
> > shutdown. looking at the boot code however, I see that about 90%
> > of boot() in machdep.c is in fact NOT mach dependent at all.
> > I'd like to move most of this out to somewhere more generic
> > while I'm adding my callout code..
> >
> > several questions..
> >
> > 1/ am I correct?
>
> I think so.
>
> > 2/ can anyone suggest the correct place for it?
>
> kern_sync.c?
> kern_shutdown.c? (new)
I'm tempted to crete the new file and possibly move reboot() in there as
well.

> Think about priority based insertion and maintaining a front/end/middle
> (middle = don't care) insertion order.
you know, I don't think this is that important.. it complicates things..

I migh tadd 2 calls. at_reboot() and at_reboot_last() but that would be
the limit of it I think.. KISS

> That way the actual attempts at keyboard reset, etc., can be put into
> the same list as call-outs.
why reset a keyboard at reboot?

> You may also want to add a parameter to the calldowns that supports
> the type of shutdown (halt/reboot/boot_to_dos, etc.).
I already do,,
the args to the function are func(arg1,howto)
where howto is the usual RB_ flags word..

julian