Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:10:37 +0300
From:      Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
To:        Kenn D Crossley <kenndc@cyberdude.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP! please

answer to question 1;
the machines would be enough for setiathome I guess I have never used
it though here is some information quoted from the ports docs.
The best part is you can download the already compiled binaries and
install easily :)
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/astro.html#setiathome-1.2

>setiathome will run at nice level 1 by default, with a single process.
>If you are running a SMP system and therefore would like to run one
>process per CPU, or would like setiathome to run under another user ID,
>you have to set it up manually.
>
>setiathome requires about 0.5 MBytes disk space in its working
>directory, and about 12 MBytes of memory.  If you have ample physical
>memory, it's work load should be almost undetectable.
>
>setiathome is a binary distribution currently available for FreeBSD
>2.2.6, 2.2.7, 2.2.8, 3.1, and 4.0.  Newer versions of FreeBSD should be able
>to run older binaries.

though with 16MB you are on the limits, I am not sure how would your
computers performance would be if you use X with them.

answer to question 2
see this page
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/FAQ26.html#26
quoted from the page;
>If you need to download the distributions yourself (for a DOS
>filesystem install, for instance), below are some recommendations
>for distributions to grab:
>
>     bin/
>     manpages/
>     compat*/
>     doc/
>     src/ssys.*

answer to question 3;
for the upgrades, FreeBSD has a new release every 3-4 months but you do
not
have to upgrade it everytime though...there are 2 kinds of upgrade
for the first one you should download the same kind of files you have
downloaded
for installation and install them with the upgrade function in the
sysinstall
utility.
the second one is source upgrade but for this one you should have all
the sources
downloaded (you do this for once only) then you can use cvsup to upgrade
for the upgrades you usually wont need to download more than 10MB(MAX!)
you can find more information about upgrades at handbook
see;
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/cutting-edge.html

about the question 4
it is not exactly related about FreeBSD if the setiathome program
is allowing you to give the data files to it from an external source
else than internet, then you can. (I have no clue about this since
I did not use setiathome)

answer to question 5
you need to learn installing freebsd and a few other things :)
like pkg_add for installing packages(for example setiathome)
though it is very simple, and mounting floppy and so.
you can learn them in a few hours easily. (and we are here to help :)

answer to question 6
I believe with freebsd you can process setiathome data faster
than you do with win98 but how much faster? I do not know :(

answer to question 7
I do not have any more advices sorry :(

is there anything I missed or I could not make clear enough?

(BTW thanks for choosing FreeBSD :)

Evren