Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:21:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        kline@tao.thought.org (Gary Kline)
Subject:   Re: update on the dual-boot and newfs hassles

> 	People,
>
> 	I'm almost done with the installation on my test platform.
> 	The reason newfs was erroring was a WRITE err; I finally
> 	booted single-user and fsck's /usr, then tried the
> 	CD sysinstall for the Nth time N >=1, <= 70  :-|
> 	Everything worked; from there is was a matter of getting
> 	files in /etc set.
>
> 	For sure,  the past few days have been a learning experience.
> 	Understanding how to partition the 4 slices is a major win.
>
> 	I have one question.  Now when I boot I see
>
> 	F1: ???
> 	F2  FreeBSD
>
> 	Can anybody tell me what to add to /boot (??) so the loader
> 	prints "DOS" instead of "???"  If the sysinstall scripts
> 	recognize NTFS, what's wrong with the loader?

If you are using the standard FreeBSD MBR, nothing, unless you want
to hack the code yourself.   It is written to fit in a minimum of
space and no one has taken the time to figure out how to cram
recognition of NTFS and a label string in to the block.    Some
other third party MBRs use up more space - which almost all of the
time nowdays you can get away with - and identify more things and
even allow you to configure how you want them to be described in
your menu.   But, I believe they are still considered not 100%
compatible, or more likely, backward compatible.   So, the standard
FreeBSD MBR is designed to work with even old clunkers.

Now, if you are feeling bored and need something to do, you might
extend the standard MBR and then ammend sysinstall to offer that
additional alternative and submit those changes.   Some people
would probably love you for it - and you would learn more than you
ever wanted to know about boot code and sector 0 formats, etc.

////jerry