Date:      Sun, 14 Nov 1999 13:12:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov (Jason Thorpe)
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, obrien@NUXI.com (David O'Brien), craig-burgess@home.com (Craig Burgess), freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaPC post-install BOOT - how?

Jason Thorpe wrote...
> On Sun, 14 Nov 1999 01:23:01 -0800 (PST)
>  Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:
>
>  > You should note and be warned though that as far as I recall, Gerard's new
>  > NCR/Symbios driver which may or may not latch up in FreeBSD sooner or
>  > later does *not* support chipsets like the 810- he has some reason why
>  > not... So don't be cheap and get at least an 850....
>
> So FreeBSD is going to de-support the on-board SCSI on many Alpha systems?
>
> "Cool!"

No, FreeBSD isn't going to de-support the 810.  The current ncr driver
supports most every NCR 53c8xx variant.  Gerard's driver only supports
newer NCR chips, because of some difference in the programming interface.
(I think he doesn't want to support the older boards, although you can ask
him what his reasons are.)  Here's a comment from the README file:

 *  Copyright (C) 1999  Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr>
 *
 *  This driver also supports the following Symbios/LSI PCI-SCSI chips:
 *      53C810A, 53C825A, 53C860, 53C875, 53C876, 53C885, 53C895.
 *
 *  but does not support earlier chips as the following ones:
 *      53C810, 53C815, 53C825.

In any case, my guess is that when Gerard's driver goes into the tree, we
will not be getting rid of the current ncr driver.  We'll either make it
optional, and make the current NCR driver the default, or adjust the probe
routines so that when the sym driver is present, the ncr driver will only
attach to the 810, 815 and 825.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry