Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 17:54:02 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ross Wheeler <rossw@albury.net.au>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Don Arnison <darnison@albury.net.au>
Subject:   Question for FreeBSD

Dear Sir!

We have a FreeBSD box which will be connected via RS232 (serial)
interface to an existing BSD host. We are attempting to add a SMALL network
of ethernet connected machines to the FreeBSD host. These machines will
require access to the internet, but I really don't want to allocate
addresses to them from our (diminishing) IP allocation.

I've heard from various sources that programs like wingate for windoze-95
and some similar products allow additional PCs to use IPs in the reserved
192.168.x.x range, and transparently gate them through to the net. I'm
not sure how (if) this can be achieved with FreeBSD, but hope you can
help us.

To date, we have managed to connect the FreeBSD machine to our BSDI host
via RS232, and have nameservice etc all operating happily. We can
alternatively, connect via ethernet and also things work fine.

What we want to do, but have been unable to work out *exactly how* is to
use a *different* address block (192.168.x.x) on the ETHERNET (ep0)
interface and allow boxes attached to that ethernet segment to access the
internet via the RS232 link.

There is a *slight* complication in that the machine will also have a
couple of indial lines (modems). These should also operate in a similar
manner to the locally attached Ethernet machines.

Don has previously set up ppp on one test port, and dialed in
sucessfully, and established a ppp connection. The FreeBSD box allocated
him an address of 192.168.x.x (correctly) but would then not allow him to
access anything apart from the local machine (by telnet). I think this is
because of netmask settings, but have not confirmed it yet. Netmask
settings should not be a problem however, as in a working configuration,
the BSD host should KNOW that the required address is "out that port" and
route it accordingly. After all, that's what routers do.

What are we doing wrong? or not done that we should have? (is there a
FAQ on all this somewhere? or a set of magic config files?)

Best regards, Ross Wheeler