Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 11:45:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Tony Kimball <alk@think.com>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SciTeXt (font problem)

Quoth Christoph P. Kukulies on Mon, 5 August:
: Which raises the question: Which is better policy for installing fonts
: under X:
:
: 1) adding an arbitrary non-evident directory to the fontpath
:
: 2) creating another directory in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
:
: 3) putting the fonts into /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc

I like to keep application trees distinct,
e.g. /apps/scitext/lib/X11/fonts, but I don't want to have to munge up
my environment every time the application base changes, so I link all
the leaves of /apps/{whatever} under /usr/local.  X11 itself being a
distinct application, with distinct upgrade/maintenance/build
structures and policies, I prefer to keep the apps entirely unrelated
to it by directory structure.