Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 11:10:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com, hsu@freefall.cdrom.com, jfieber@cs.smith.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

> On the other hand, Linux currently runs a private newsgroup heirarchy
> for their lists (instead of mailing them) and it's possible that that
> would be a better soloution at this level of complexity.

This could be an ideal distribution medium between "distribution points":
nntplinks are trivial to set up, and the flood fill paradigm tends to ensure
that a message will reach all points as soon as possible.

Note that I am advocating using this as a _distribution_ medium.  I am not
advocating making all the mailing lists available via Usenet (although I
would _also_ like to see this), nor am I advocating the retirement of the
mailing lists.  I am purely suggesting an efficient, more reliable
"backbone" distribution method that would provide a foundation for a very
resilient, very fast distributed mail list system.

Before people start bitching about "Usenet delays" and crud, let me point
out that it is quite possible to run a "mini-feed" that would handle *ONLY*
FreeBSD list traffic (probably on top of some large news server).  This
could be quite efficient.  Small example:  you have three distribution
sites in the U.S.  Maybe cdrom.com, mu.edu, and xyz.org.  Each of these
sites configures their news servers to handle an additional "freebsd.*"
hierarchy.  Each of them opens an nntplink to the other two, feeding JUST
this hierarchy.  Now, two of the sites also nntplink to the regional
exploder in England, two nntplink to the regional exploder in Germany, and
two nntplink to Japan.  Japan and England nntplink, Japan and Russia link,
and Germany and Russia link.  (I think that makes everybody with redundant
connections, if not, keep going until it is so).  All links are two-way.
Real world solution is obviously somewhat larger in scale.

Each Usenet spool pulls messages from the Usenet groups, and forwards it to
the local mail hub (maybe the same machine), which then proceeds to mail it
to the regional members of the group.

Now, the Usenet groups would be private - they would be purely for intersite
transit, to assure redundancy.  You can get rid of all the news<->mail
gateway assumptions by doing this (encapsulate the mail messages, perhaps
even uuencode, to deter folks from trying to "use" the groups).  This is a
nifty way to propagate messages.

If there is sufficient interest in doing something like this (it would not
be too difficult, technically), I would be interested in setting up and
staging a proof-of-concept demo.  I have control over two news servers, and
presumably we could get cdrom.com to participate..

... Joe