Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 1999 11:21:55 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>, jeff-ml@mountin.net
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum performance testing...

At 9:43 AM +0800 1999/9/16, Michael Robinson wrote:

>                                       What happened after that was the
> two subdisks of the striped plex were essentially trashed.  All sorts of
> really cool kernel side effects were visible at that time, such as streams
> of garbage characters on the console that precluded an orderly shutdown.
> A couple of hard restarts later, and there wasn't anything left to salvage.

	If there was any way to capture this sort of information, I
assure you that Greg would have wanted to find out what it was, so
that he could discover what the real problem was that caused it, and
make changes to the code to help prevent things like this from
happening again.

	It's not good when things like this happen.

	However, sometimes the only way to find certain types of bugs is
to try to use the product in ways it was not intended (or ways in
which the author did not foresee, although they would appear to be
consistent with the documentation), and then watch the sparks fly.
After that, you have to try to pick up the pieces and figure out what
the heck happened.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.