Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:27:38 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <lauasanf@bellsouth.net>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop <-> Desktop by ethernet

Greg,
	I'm not much of an NFS guru, but I'll try to help you narrow this down
a little:

> I want to attch my laptop and desktop by ethernet.
>
> - Both are running -stable supped and built a couple of weeks ago.
> - The desktop has an intel etherexpress pro at fxp0. I know it works
>   because I use it for my DHCP cable connection.
> - I'm confident my hosts and exports files are OK because I have
>   mounted file systems of each machine on the other using lp0.
> - The pccard is found and pccardd assigns ed0 to my linksys etherfast
>   pcmpc100.
> - dhclient also worked on my laptop where I work.
> - I got myself a crossover cable to connect the two machines directly,
>   but when I try to mount a file system from either machine on
>   the other I get
>
>         NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to send

First, when you plug in your crossover cable, do you get connection
lights on your ethernet cards. I've seen more flukey crossover cables
than you can imagine. Can you ping loopback? If not, then you need to
recheck your TCP IP settings on that computer. Can the machines ping
each other? These systems will both have to have some sort of valid IP
address and netmask to talk to each other. The only difference between
using a crossover cable and having a hub is that you can only have as
many computers connected via crossover as you have ethernet cards.

--
Drew Sanford
lauasanf@bellsouth.net or drew@planetwe.com