Date:      Fri, 07 Jan 2000 19:44:00 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OSS under 3.4

Peter Schwenk wrote:

> I've got OSS loading up in a script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  I named the
> script something like '_oss.sh' so it would run first.  Sometimes on boot it
> appears like it won't load (displays a message about not being able to
> allocate a DMA buffer), but it tries again and succeeds.  I'm running
> 3.4-STABLE.

Mine very often gives that same message about the DMA buffer when I
boot.  I wrote to the tech support and they said it was a known bug in
FreeBSD.  The solution is to run soundoff and then soundon again to
reload it until you succeed.  But I never do.  Even with the error
message, the sound still works.

> Brian Sletten wrote:
>
> > I recently cvsup'ed to 3.4 and my OSS drivers stopped working. The soundon
> > utility just hangs. I downloaded the new version that supposedly support
> > 3.4 from 4Front but I get the same behavior.

I updated to 3.4 and I have no problems.  Sorry I can't help.  Write to
their tech support, they have always been very prompt and helpful for
me.

--
Best Regards, Joseph

	You will do foolish things,