Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 16:42:26 +0000
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

On Nov  1, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> 	[tirade snipped for brevity]

Thanks. :-)

> 	Paul, I've got one simple question for you.  You develop on and for Unix
> platforms, as it says above.  Unix platforms have a generally accepted set
> of standards that those playing the game play by.

Indeed, however some standards, we all must accept for better or for worse,
are generic and don't come from a range of individuals from across the
industry sat around a table (or mailing list) hammering out the technical
merits of each point. One organisation or group or even individual just
comes up with it from nowhere. Unavoidable, but should be noted.

> 	Now, when it comes to Java, Javascript and all of that hooey (It's a
> Southern term), who's version do you use?  Who produces REAL Java?  Sun, the
> originators of the standard... or Microsoft, the ones that took the standard
> and perverted it for their own political uses?

That is really a client issue - if the client says that the site will be
accessed from MS platforms, and for whatever reason they want to make sure
that everything is as compatible as possible out of the box, you have to
look to using MS technology. In the case of websites, anybody with a copy of
analog looking after a busy mainstream site can see that MS IE is the
predominant browser, and as such is the benchmark 'standard' browser you put
the most effort into developing the site for.

> 	You raise some interesting issues, but I think that it's quite comical for
> sites to require MSIE for doing Java work, etc. when Microsoft isn't even
> producing a Java development package anymore.  For those that don't know,
> Microsoft had to sell J++ and the related items to Rational Software in
> order to satisfy the judge's ruling in their lawsuit against Sun.

Java is indeed a bad example now. I think my argument went off on a tangent
because I can't understand why people don't see what I see.

It's great producing W3-standard compliant browsers, and making sure that
all your software adopts open standards. Given a free reign, I would want to
ensure that this sort of technology was on every desktop in the
world. However, right now, it isn't. And faced with that fact the OSS
community has two choices:

1. We can whine about MS till the cows come home. We can tell every PHB and
user in the land that MS sucks. We can try and convince them to move to an
alternative technology, because that technology is what we believe in. We
can point out that if you change the way things work both technically and to
some extent politically (MS Word Docs should not be the inter-office
standard for example), then the world becomes a better place. It might not
save them money straight away, and early adopters are running a risk that
we're are all talking crap. But that's the way it is.

OR

2. We look at our codebase, and the functionality. We decide the best way to
move forward is to give the user the same experience on our platforms as on
the MS platforms. We work, as a community, to make sure that sites that are
'latest IE only' also look great and work in an identical manner when they
are viewed in Mozilla or Konqueror. We then go back to the users and PHBs
and say 'look, it's all effectively identical, plus TCO is lower, licensing
is more liberal, and it's all infinitely extendible due to the fact we have
the source'

Question: Which approach is going to get the most users? Which approach is
going to convince the PHB and the users that open technology is the way to
go? The long term goal should be about technical excellence, and everything
that is done now should be done to the best standard we can adopt, however
we also need users and PHBs to not be intimidated when they come to evaluate
our 'product'.

Take an example of a new user who wants to do a bit of typing up on their
machine, print some documents out, and perhaps send a few e-mails. Given a
PC a slight clue and an hour, and they're most likely to going to start
getting the hang of the basics. At the moment, with FreeBSD we hand them a
copy of the Handbook and ask 'So, first off - what do you know about
disklabel?' - User Experience is all, and the OSS community has to begin to
accept that to gain mass acceptance. Without mass acceptance, nobody listens
to the politcal or legal cries we make.

In the end, to compete with MS, you have to start by mimicking them to a
certain extent. I don't think I'm saying anything new here, but at least my
argument is clearer now than it may have been before.

> 	Nothing I can say or do is going to change how you go about your business.
> But, I'll say this much, when you start producing websites that REQUIRE that
> God-awful Microsoft Passport thing, expect much more of an uproar.

Passport is a politcal issue more than a technical issue. If we wanted, we
could all sit down now and work out an open, secure, distributed,
peer-to-peer style Passport 'mimic'. However, how many mainstream sites
would adopt it? At the moment, virtually none. What if we put support into
Mozilla? OK, people are starting to get slightly interested, but even with
Netscape's blessing it's not going to go far. What if we say 'look, this is
almost identical to IE in every way, except it's better, because...' and we
then go out on a mass 'marketing drive'. At that point, we start making
inroads. We at least get to the point where companies will look to support
both systems. And that's when we can advance by being more innovative than
the competitor.

It all comes back to User Experience, and if the User is happy with IE, it's
going to take a lot to convince them to change. Even the VBS worms didn't
make a sizeable dent in the number of users using Outlook for mail.

Right, enough rambling. I hope my argument is a little clearer now than it
was this morning (local time for me). Should turn into an interesting
argument, this.