Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: vi

>Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:24:12 -0700
>From: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>

>No.  The simple fact is, I don't want to right now, and don't yet see the
>point in doing so.  Personally, I believe this thread got heated because I
>basically insulted an original, holy Unix text editor....

Uhhmmm....  :-)

No.  vi isn't "original".  It was written (essentially) by Bill Joy,
while he was at UC Berkeley, as a "glass TTY" front-end for ex.

I suspect that you don't really want to think too hard about what Ken,
Dennis, Brian, Joe, Rob, & the rest of the Bell Labs gang used to
actually write the original code....

As for UNIX being "stuck in the 1960s"... well, please note that the
UNIX "epoch" -- time zero, so to speak -- is midnight (0000 hrs.) 01
January, 1970 GMT ("UTC" for folks less old-fashioned than I).

:-),
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621