Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:19:18 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anti-Unix Web site on the fritz? - Tech News - CNET.com

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 06:10:47PM -0800, UCTC Sysadmin wrote:

> The honchos commissioned a flunky to put the site up, saying "get it up quickly
> so that it works." Of course, what the flunky did was use FreeBSD, because he
> wanted to go home to watch Star Trek and he knew if he used FreeBSD it would just
> immediately work without complaint and without a raft of 112 security patch fixes
> with an attendent 122 reboots. So that's what he did, since nobody told him that
> the site was trying to destroy Unix in favor of the 122-reboot OS.

That is the *opposite* of my definition of "flunky".

A flunky is someone who is to lazy to anything but what he's told. Not a
self starter. Too lazy to figure out how to do the job right the first
time. Plenty of time to do it over which equates to overtime and
perceived job security.

A guru is someone who is too lazy to do the job more than once because
that might interfere with Star Trek, Farscape, Animaniacs, or Pinky &
The Brain. As a result no matter what the guru is told to do, he gets
the job done right the first time.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net