Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:30:51 -0500
From:      Alan Edmonds <aedmonds@digitalconvergence.com>
To:        Drew Sanford <lauasanf@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop <-> Desktop by ethernet

Sorry I didn't notice this earlier.  There is
an issue with some of the Intel chipset cards
and crossover cables.  The summary is you can't
use a crossover cable.  I'm not sure exactly which
Intel NIC cards are affected.  It might be only
trying to connect two Intel cards together that
is a problem.

If you can try it with a hub, it might solve your problem.

There was a discussion about this on -hackers not too long
ago.  Here's a link to the previous discussion.

http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=45338+47352+/usr/local/www/db/text/1998/freebsd-hackers/19981025.freebsd-hackers

--
Alan Edmonds      Director of International Technology
Digital:Convergence