Date:      Sat, 08 Jan 2000 00:09:18 -0600
From:      John Estess <jestess@wcnet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.4 BSD forever?

Dan O'Connor wrote:

> >Yes, FreeBSD is going to get past 4.4.  As much as I admire your idea
> >for its style, I think our release names are going to be selected more
> >on their mathematic than their asthetic values. :-)
>
> What? An operating system who's version level actually means what it says?
> Inconceivable!

But what does the version number really mean? Very little. In a world
where 3.1 precedes to 95 (MS), where 4 precedes 7 (Slackware), where
original releases start with 5 or 6 (Mandrake and Suse, I believe -
DQM), what do you think release numbers signify? Not much. I'm glad
FreeBSD has the integrity to sequence their releases in a logical
manner, but this isn't required, is somewhat unexpected, and is really
boring.

There is a certain amount of romance attached to the 4.4-BSD name. As
far as designating a release, a name is only a name, whether it be a
sequence number (4.4) or a real moniker (Reno). People will tend to know
the current (usual meaning) distribution in either case, and that is
what matters. I think a sequence that proceeds alphabetically by first
letter makes just as much sense as a numerical scheme, but it also
strongly associates FreeBSD with its roots in the minds of its uses and
potential users, so along with being romantically nostalgic, it could be
a marketing ploy.

Besides, wouldn't Kirk M. and the other BSD grandpops just *%^& if their
baby never made it past 4.4? Tribute or torture? Who knows?

      _/ _/_/_/   || John Estess
 _/  _/ _/_/      || jestess@wcnet.net