Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 11:28:38 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>, Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Tim Parkinson <tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do people on the list use FreeBSD for?

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 10:49:42AM -0400, Stuart Krivis wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, Nik Clayton wrote:
>
> > and probably other bits and pieces.
>
> All of which simply says that FreeBSD can do just about anything that any
> other unix can (within the limits of the PC hardware and availability of
> commercial software.)

Oh, absolutely.

> > It's not used as much at my current job because we're pretty much a Solaris
> > shop. I do use it as my desktop workstation though.
>
> Even then, PC unix can be very cost-effective for certain things. And
> FreeBSD or Linux are much less expensive than Solaris x86. :-)

Yeah. Some of our internal firewall and masquerading kit runs FreeBSD and
Linux. But our webservers, nameservers and so on are all Solaris for the
suit's peace of mind.

> > and I plan on experimenting with Amancio's suggestions for how to set up
> > a FreeBSD box+modem+soundcard as an answerphone.
>
> I tried this out on my Mac. It was kind of cool to do, but a standard
> answering machine is a better solution. :-)

Sorry, I stopped paying attention to that sentence after the "kind of cool"
phrase. Besides, you can't do telephone trees with a standard answerphone,
nor can it mail you your messages as attachments, or play different greeting
based on the CLID. . .

You are in a maze of twisty signature files all the same.
--
You are in a maze of twisty signature files all alike.