Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:01:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        gmarco@giovannelli.it (Gianmarco Giovannelli)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD

> I think if one can choose the distribution shares of the two OSes would be
> very different from the actual ones ... The problem is , especially in
> Italy, that on ten shops, only two, perhaps three have FreeBSD while
> everyones have Linux. And if they have Linux they have the last
> distributions, while of FreeBSD is easy they could have old version. If
> you, that don't know anything or have only vague ideas about UNIX world,
> arrive in a shop and want a UNIX like operating system you take what you
> find first. And it's a pity on 10 times 7 or 8 it is Linux. My local
> bookstore don't have any books on BSD while it is full of books on Linux.
> Some of them are in Italian, too.
> So it is a cat that eats it's tail (Jordan perhaps understand the
> picture... I see he is full of cats :-)
> More avaliability, more sells, more users, more interest and so on...

You should contact Jordan and see if he wants/needs an Italian
branch office.

Walnut Creek CDROM works with a Japanese company to produce a
Japanese version of FreeBSD on CDROM in Japan that closely tracks
the US releases.  I'm sure he would be willing to talk about
working a similar deal for Italy.

Contact: Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>

There has to be money in it for someone.

If you are willing to front the translation work, you might be able
to get translated copies of "The Complete FreeBSD" book; alternately,
there are 5 or 6 Japanese FreeBSD books, at last count, which could
also be translated.

In either case, you would need to work out publication rights with
the authors/publishers, depending on how rights are assigned.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.