Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:53:38 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hyperthreading Issues (on Athlon64?)

On Thursday 12 October 2006 10:24, John Baldwin wrote:

> > > Err, no. =A0The HTT there stands for HyperThreading Technology.
> >
> > you say it right: "stands for" in this case
> >
> > But I think it "is" the other way round, in terms of abreviation:
> >
> > HTT =3D Hyper Transport Technology
> > HT =3D Hyper Threading (Technology)
>
> I don't think this really bothers anyone.

sure, until bitten by the confusion

> You didn't read anything I said earlier.  When dual-core came out, to make
> it easier for OS's to detect it (probably Windows), AMD made a dual-core
> CPU look just like an Intel CPU with 2 hyperthreads including using the
> CPUID HT flag in cpuid that _Intel_ had reserved.  Even ports/misc/cpuid
> calls the flag HT.  Sheesh.

nonoooooo, it reads the HTT flag=20

so confusion  is perfect now ... please see the funny side of it=20

the processor's cpuid function, when returning the HTT bit, reports dual-co=
re=20
single thread (AMD) or single-core dual-thread (Intel), and not that AMD=20
makes it appear like an Intel-HT CPU ...

but then ports/cpuid still reports:
=20
HT     Hyper Threading (on Intel CPUs)

isn't it funny?