Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 00:18:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        armin@openBSD.de, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sio overflows

> > i have set up my alpha to dial an ISP with pppd.
> > When dialing out via cuaa0 or ttyd0 i get massive sio overflows.
> > I configure the serial port with the /etc/rc.serial script as a  modem
> > port with 57600 baud.
> >
> > This happens even at a 9600 baud connection when receiving or sending
> > files via ftp.  top reports a totally idle system while the sio overflows
> > occur. The kernel reports cuaa0 to be a 16550 UART which is true.
> >
> > OS is 0524 snapshot,
> > Hardware: PC164, 500mHz, 128mb ram, ncr53C810, S3 vga
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
>
> This is a known problem but I don't have a solution as yet.

There was a patch (before the bus stuff went in), posted to the
alpha list a while back, that added FASTINTR support for the
Alpha.  The SILO overflows are a result of that support not
having been integrated.

It's my understanding that since the bus stuff went into the Alpha
before it went into the x86, the patch may still be good.

No, I do not have a copy of the patch that I can send you; check the
-alpha list archives.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---