Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 09:09:06 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        john hood <cgull+usenet-887349853@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On a lighter note (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf files)

On Fri, Feb 13, 1998 at 01:20:46AM -0500, john hood wrote:
> David Kelly writes:
>  > Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
>  > >
>  > > Of course, if you think you have a more scalable solution then my only
>  > > suggestion would be to implement it and see how it works.  We've tried
>  > > a number of different things over the last 5 years and pretty much all
>  > > of them have failed, so I don't think anyone will dispute the validity
>  > > of your concepts so much as the validity of trying to make such things
>  > > actually work in this context.
>  >
>  > I'm impressed that Jordan typed 5 lines in a row of exactly the same
>  > length. Was suspicious of the two spaces in the 2nd line but on review
>  > of other messages from Jordan, that's the way he types.
>
> Now, on the subjects
> of justification and
> other textual gags--
> i believe our reader
> will agree with this
> writer that there is
> a visible limit upon
> all such insanities.

I find tricks like the above most fun when there are text
more than ones side, and extra spaces and other junk flow
perfectly as normal.  It really isn't too difficult; just
remember to type as usual, doing small changes to phrases
every time you miss a beat.  What's really neat is having
some reasonable text if you read backwards, forwards, and
sometimes even on the diagonals.  The parlour trick still
is the edges; it looks neat, but you can put out any text
very easily.  This is just a simple demo; if you read the
el33t norwegian groups, you'll find really it impressive.

It really isn't too difficult; just type up the words you want to
match, and you'll find that there are lots of flexibility.

We have it in some newsgroups with an extreme tone, which tends to
find insulting messages put every which way through textblocks :-)

And then it is _really_ irritating when you find you've done a typo
after having typed an entire block of text...  (Which I just did
above; ARGH!)

Eivind.