Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:31:50 -0400 (CDT)
From:      Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:

______________________________
Mr. Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez
Net Manager & Sys Admin
CEISIC. Ministry of Culture
______________________________

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Brett Taylor wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Andy Farkas wrote:
>
> > What is the definitive answer to doing a 'make upgrade' on a
> > production system running an older 2.2.x - is it ok to do it at the
> > multiuser level, or must one bring the system to single-user mode,
> > hence denying services during the duration of this rather long
> > process??
>
> Don't know what the "definitive answer" is, but I've done 3 make upgrades
> and all succeeded (all done in multi-user mode) - admittedly there were
> _not_ a lot of users on the machines in question.

You mean, you have performed upgrade on production systems without dying
of heart attack. I've just come from my first upgrade on my own system,
and after dealing with ldconfig -aout all my old binaries are working,
even X. So I'm considering now doing it on my two real production systems
via NFS. I see in the list there are people againts this procedure, I
really don't know what to decide, anyway I'll be able to reproduce my
original systems in case something goes wrong, cause I run the amanda
backup system so I've them on tape.