Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:39:44 -0400 (CDT)
From:      Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some important environment variables.

During my first (finally successfull) upgrade of my 2.2.6 system to 3.2
stable I encountered, due to my ignorance, problems arising from the
lacking of the MACHINE_ARCH variable in my environment. I didn't know it
should be set before firing make aout-to-elf-build, although I realize (of
course) it should be set to i386 'cause I'm a PC user. But I wonder
someone else could have the same problem on his/her fist upgrade, so I
strongly beg and encourage all those worlderfull guy like Nick Clayton and
An Douglas Barton to include this sort of thing in their respective
upgrading tutorials, I mean, state the critical variables which have to be
set previous to a make upgrade or the like.

I must say the mergemaster script was (and will be) indeed very helpfull
in this very stressing process of upgranding.

Besides, I wonder if I could upgrade my production systems, currently
running 2.2.5, mounting the build I've just made (and installed) via NFS.

Comments will be very appreciated.

Mr. Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez
Net Manager & Sys Admin
CEISIC. Ministry of Culture