Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 08:13:05 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <rootman@xmission.com>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, "Tyler K McGeorge" <treznor@sunflower.com>
Cc:        "Damien Tougas" <damien@carroll.com>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Looking for Yoda

Ok, I'm jumping in on this one..

Like others in this thread, I've come to the realization that learning to
program with FreeBSD would be beneficial.

I've used FreeBSD for a year now and still have zero programming experience.  I
spent $200+ on O'Reilly books for C, Python and Perl but still don't know which
book I should start reading first.

Most of those with programming experience I have talked to have recommended I
start with C but didn't provide clear explanations as to why.

I understand that if you learn C, then most other object oriented languages
will be easier to learn.  Can't I start with, say Python?  I've read a lot of
exciting things this language can do and that it's been gaining a lot of recent
popularity.

When I decide upon a language, where should I start?  With books?  College
courses?  Both?

For me, programming has always seemed like this obscure/unreachable plateau
populated by members of a secret society of gurus that speak their own language.
Kind of like the stock market and it's traders and analysts.  8^)

Regards

Joe

You know you're in trouble when your wife asks you;
"Would you like me any better if I had a square face?"

                               -me