Date:      Sat, 28 Aug 1999 06:51:19 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez <elie@uncle.cult.cu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some important environment variables.

On Fri, Aug 27, 1999 at 04:39:44PM -0400, Eliezer Rodriguez Gonzalez wrote:

> During my first (finally successfull) upgrade of my 2.2.6 system to 3.2
> stable I encountered, due to my ignorance, problems arising from the
> lacking of the MACHINE_ARCH variable in my environment. I didn't know it
> should be set before firing make aout-to-elf-build, although I realize (of
> course) it should be set to i386 'cause I'm a PC user.

If MACHINE_ARCH is undefined, it means i386 (historically in FreeBSD).
MACHINE_ARCH should never by the user. Please don't suggest to people
that they do that. If there is a problem with the aout-to-elf-build
barfing because MACHINE_ARCH is not set, then a different fix is required.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137