Date:      16 Jul 1996 06:07:57 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@freebsd.gaffaneys.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Steve Emmert <steve@emmert.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Comm port trouble in 2.1.5 install

Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Steve Emmert wrote:
>
> > When I selected FTP install and COM 2 (/dev/cuaa1) then went to iij-ppp
> > the modem would not respond to "at". I then did a "show modem" and found
> > the device set to COM 1 (/dev/cuaa0). No amount of hacking with the option
> > selections or "set device" in iij-ppp would work to get the modem on-line
> > even when "show modem" displayed /dev/cuaa1. I took the disk back home and
> > tried it on my system with the same results. I even FTP'ed a new boot.flp
> > but nothing seems to work. My old 2.1 boot floppy works but a 2.2 -SNAP
> > boot floppy fails too.
> >
> > Any ideas??
>
> Make sure sio0 is being probed.  I just changed that option on my 2.1.5
> installed machine, no problems.
>
> Did you check baudrate and data bits also?

I noticed the same thing.  If you look closely, I think the options of
which device to attach the iij-ppp (and the slip stuff) to both
mention cuaa0.

No matter which of the 4 choices I was given, I always got /dev/cuaa0.
I was able to manually select /dev/cuaa1, but the install hung later
(nameserver crashed.. not really a 2.1.5 problem :-)  I ended up just
ftp'ing everything I needed manually, and extracting it over my running
system.  I merged my original /etc with the new /etc, installed the new
bootblocks, rebooted, and recompiled my kernel, and rebooted.

I noticed I had both /usr/lib/libutil.so.2.0 and /usr/lib/libutil.so.2.1,
and I also noticed that it chose the 2.0 version as opposed to the 2.1
version (ftp complained about having to use minor version 0, which is
why I discovered it).  Is there any reason ld.so would chose 2.0, when
2.1 is also present?

One minor hitch: I accidentally extracted the kerberos distribution
over my system as well.  It is rather annoying, I should be able to
get rid of it by just re-extracting the appropriate files from the
bin distribution, right?

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!