Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:31:30 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        sag.space.lockheed.com!handy@dg-rtp.dg.com, ponds!rivers@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio issues (silo overflows on a pentium, locked in ttywait, etc...)

Thomas David Rivers stands accused of saying:

>  Your problem is likely that crtscts isn't set on the serial
> line your mouse are attached to, or can't/shouldn't be set because
> the mice don't support it.   For serial mice, you should be
> able to set the baud rate way down (e.g. 1200), which should completely
> avoid the problem.  See your XF86Config file (the XF86Config.eg
> will help) for where to set the baud rate.

Mice do not honour RTS.  In fact, they depend on it being set to obtain
power.  All but a very few mice run at 1200bps; the problem with silo
overflows on a mouse port can only attributed to hardware oddities.

Furthermore, handshking failures will generally result in the
"interrupt buffer overflow" or "tty-level buffer overflow" error messages.
Even with handshaking off (CTS clear), the sio drive will still accept
data from the UART.

>  My issue is that I shouldn't be seeing these at all on a P75.

The processor has nothing to do with it in your case.

> Furthermore, I'm seeing lockups in ttywait on a 386, which shouldn't
> happen....  after the lockup is resolved (drainwait expires?), I can
> re-open the serial line, but that doesn't help a SL/IP session,
> I have to kill the slattach and start a new one.  So, I have to
> be around when this happens (usually very soon...)

If this is bothering you, and you are completely up to date, then
I or someone better qualified will be more than happy to help you
chase down the problem.  If you aren't, come back when you've upgraded
to 2.1.5 and are still having the same problem.

The fact that you're the only person seeing this makes me wonder whether
you have funny serial hardware causing your problems.  Note that lots of
PC serial hardware is _really_bad_, so this is actually fairly likely.