Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:07:01 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs linux

> Cliff Sarginson writes:
> > On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 08:54:58PM -0600, David Kelly wrote:
> > > The majority of Linux users are also Windows users and wear
> > > Microsoft-colored glasses no matter how much they badmouth Microsoft.
> > > They continue to build their new land with a Microsoft tint. This may
> > I don't understand what is meant by this... ?
> > Both FreeBSD and Linux are amazing achievements..in my view.
> >
> > > not be a bad thing, only time will tell.
>
> What I mean by "Microsoft tint" is prefaced by "Microsoft-colored
> glasses". Users who know only of Windows bitch when an OS doesn't do
> everything the way they are used to. When configuring a foreign system,
> or writing code for it, they design the user interface after the
> Microsoft model. And use Microsoft terminology to document. And then
> complain about how much they hate Microsoft.

I am sorry that has not been my experience from the mailing lists
for Linux I have been on. Sure some people complain, but they would
complain anyway. They feel they have been sold a pup !

I really do not understand what you mean by "user interface" in this context.
If you are referring to X11 Desktops, then that has nothing to do with
Linux per-se. If you are referring to the installation/setup programs
then since most of them (with the honourable exceptions of Suse and
Debian) don't work .. and are supposed to .. I suppose people will
complain. Is this a Microsoft "tint", I don't think so, except that
since Microsoft's installation procedures have never worked
properly since the days of 3.1 I suppose they do have something in common.

> A small thing but last time I sat at a Linux keyboard "dir" did the DOS
> thing, by default.

i think you will find "dir" often aliased to "ls -l". This seems to me
be perfectly fine ! That one of the major strengths of the UNIX shell,
it can be customised to your likes. Despite years of UNIX work I still
miss out the space between ls and -l in "ls -l" so I have an alias
for "ls-l" :)

Cliff

p.s. I am not sure what this has to do with the original question, which
I think was asking for some objective answers :)