Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 13:42:18 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>, "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: as(1) patch & dis

> On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Eric L. Hernes wrote:
> >
> > Actually, SCO's dis(CP) from 3.2v4.2 runs as well under ibcs2 as on
> > real SCO.  Most of the development system does, except for masm, and
> > some other programs that need (use) a vm86 call.
> > anyone know why SCO's syslog implementation needs vm86?
> >

> So I can examine the interior of an object file? Or am I missing something?

sorry, there were two different subjects in that paragraph,
and I can't tell which one you are refering to, it may be my fault.

yes you can (or should be able) to use an SCO gdb to disassemble
COFF .o's, there is probably a gdb binary on the net somewhere that
will run under ibcs2 and disassemble third party Driver.o's
(ftp://sosco.sco.com ??). If you can't, it shouldn't be too tough
for a driver hacker to scotch tape together the parts from the
gdb distribution to do that.

secondly, the vm86 system call is most definitely not needed to examine
the interior of an object file, unless you're running it under
some sort of emulator/debugging environment.  What I was referring to
here was the fact that we compiled some simple programs that use syslog()
under SCO, which work under SCO. These same programs work fine if recompiled
under FBSD. The problem arises when you try to run the SCO binary
under ibcs2, you get a kernel message something to the effect of
ibcs2 vm86(): unimplemented system call.   Now my question is
what could SCO possibly be doing that needs vm86 functionality in a syslog()
implementation?  Am *I* missing something? I'd guess that it's just
some antique code that they haven't recompiled in a very long time.
It was meant as somewhat of a snied comment. ;)

> 	Sander

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com