Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 12:41:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A first encounter with 'vi'

>Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 21:06:15 -0700
>From: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>

>Why would there be nothing else around?  You could stick gunzip and a
>gzip'ed version of ee on a single floppy disk and take it with you wherever
>you go, or probably ee or a similar editor would fit on a floppy just fine
>uncompressed.

Because you're working on a system that doesn't *have* a floppy drive
(such as my Sun 3/60).  Or it has one, but it's broken.  Or the device
driver for the floppy is acting weird.

(Floppies are actually rather unnatural I/O devices to some of us....)

Maybe that's OK, if you're *always* going to be using a set of
homogeneous systems... but that's not the reality many of us live in.

If you want to thus restrict yourself, go ahead... but I hate to see
someone do something like that without at least being aware of some
consequences that, in my experience, are likely to be encountered.

Given the information, you're free to make any decision you want.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621