Date:      Wed, 31 May 1995 14:38:19 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@apollo.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

On Wed, 31 May 1995 09:27:23 -0400 (EDT), "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com> said:

Jonathan> On Wed, 31 May 1995, -Vince- wrote:

Jonathan> 	ugh....17 hours, even several hours is just too much

We were running a NASA Public affairs list with about 15K users (on
SunOS) using MojoDaemon -- er, MajorDomo -- and it was taking days,
for the same DNS/SMTP or other transient failures you cite.

We manually split the list into 10-20 sublists, and it went out *much*
faster, an hour or two.

Jonathan> where can i find it [bulk_mailer].  archie failed me and the
Jonathan> May archives from majordomo-users describes how to use it
Jonathan> but not how to find it ;(

I asked around and got some good pointers on
comp.mailing-list.software.admin (or whatnot). Most everyone pointed
me to smartlist, running on procmail. It is clever enough to
automatically slit lists based con criteria like how many sendmails it
can run versus speed, etc. It also sounded like it had serious error
checking to remove names with hard failures.

Never got around to playing with it -- got put on other projects. :-(

Jonathan> 	none of majordomo-workers, majordomo-users or
Jonathan> list-managers has a pointer to an ftp site.

I understand the MojoDaemon developers are working on being able to
parallelize their sends, so that may be available there by now...