Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 11:17:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Tracy Steinwand <trsteins@pcisys.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Whoa is me about KDE...Part Deux

I noticed another person having problems with KDE so I thought I'd throw
my problems into the ring as well!

I'm running 2.2.7 and just recently upgraded to XFree86 3.3.3.  I read the
KDE ports page and determined everything I would need to install KDE.  I was
able to find everything listed on the kde-base required list except qt.1.41.
I found qt.1.40 and hoped that this would work.   I also read the newsgroup
archives and learned that when installing the packages, installation order
is important or you get dependency errors.  I installed all the packages but
had a few problems along the way.  One problem was that one of the packages
depended on XFree86 3.3.2 being installed on my machine.  It was already
installed and I was using other window managers to prove it.  I went back to
the newsgroup archives and found a post that showed a way to update the
package database without actually installing software.  I continued with the
installation and made it all the way through to the end without any errors.
I ran startkde and received bad magic number errors and old version numbers
for libqt.  Figuring that my problem was related to not loading qt.1.41, I
looked all over the ftp site until I found it.  I downloaded the package and
ran pkg_add but encountered some errors.  First it said that XFree86 3.3.3
was required and then gave me an error with trying to symlink to a library
file.  So I went ahead and upgraded to 3.3.3, rebooted and tried to run
startkde.  Now I get the following error:

/usr/libexec/ld.so: warning: /usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.9: minor version -1
older than expected 0, using it anyway
ld.so failed: bad magic number in "/usr/local/lib/libjpeg.so.9

I hope all this isn't coming across as a comedy of errors to those who know
better!  I've tried to be very methodical in my approach and to read all the
FAQ's, newsgroup posts, and the like. I'm just not sure what to do at this
point.  Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Tracy