Date:      Wed, 17 Feb 1999 13:38:33 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Walnut Creek, Where Are You?

> At 07:58 PM 2/16/99 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > a) Fuck Off.
>
> This does not seem like it would be a particularly
> productive activity.

It would prevent you impacting on other peoples' productivity.

> > b) I have been working on this since mid-late last year.  See a).
>
> And what has IBM said? Apparently, they are approaching SEVERAL
> Linux vendors, including small ones. But there's not a peep
> about FreeBSD.

We can't run on anything other than their NetFinity systems at the
moment, and we are still trying to complete limited qualification on
them.  We run OK on about half their range at the moment; the other
half suffer from the "initialising fxp0 hangs" bug.

> > c) Give us more money, or see a) again.
>
> For what would more money be used?

Employing one or more developers to extend/fix our code to the point
where we properly supported IBM's hardware, so that we could obtain
qualification and thus move to the next stage.  At the moment, we're
listed as a partially supported but not qaulified software item in their
database - I'm told that this means that if an IBM customer asks a
NetFinity rep about us, he will be able to point them in our direction.

To get to the point where IBM would even be *able* to ship FreeBSD, we
need to run properly on their hardware.  I've been trying to move the
remaining issues for some time now.