Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 12:04:19 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   I've made some lpd changes

(as some of you know ;)) to support the "ms=<stuff>" capability in
/etc/printcap.  For those who don't recognize it, it allows one to say
something like

	lp|local line printer:\
		:lp=/dev/cua00:br#9600:\
		:ms=opost,onlcr:\
		:sd=/var/spool/djet500/raw:hl:\
		:mx#0:sb:rs

instead of specifying the bits explicitly with

		:fc#031400:fs#01401:

Right now, however, my code just removes support for the fs/fc/xs/xc
capabilities.  Personally, I do not find that much problem at all ;).
However, others might.  So I have some alternatives:

1.  Ignore it, and let fs/fc/xs/xc die the death they should have died with
the rest of the saurians 65 million years ago.

2.  Allow one *or* the other to be used -- if fs/fc/xs/xc are used, don't
use the ms=, or vice versa.

3.  Convert the fs/fc/xs/xc bit patterns to the right things.  (This is
really simple but tedious, and there would be the question of should it be
done before or after the ms= string is processed?)

They are listed in my order of preference ;).

Comments?

Sean.