Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 15:45:46 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        handy@sag.space.lockheed.com (Brian N. Handy)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com, sag.space.lockheed.com!handy@dg-rtp.dg.com, ponds!rivers@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio issues (silo overflows on a pentium, locked in ttywait, etc...)

Brian N. Handy stands accused of saying:

> >The fact that you're the only person seeing this makes me wonder whether
> >you have funny serial hardware causing your problems.  Note that lots of
> >PC serial hardware is _really_bad_, so this is actually fairly likely.
> >

> Now, it's worth noting that before I upgraded the 486 with the errant
> mouse port to...oh...I think 2.1?  (Nate would remember, he sees the same
> thing) I never got the "sio overflow" message in my syslogs.  Something
> has changed to make this error show up.  Again, I've never noticed it
> affecting anything.

Hmm, you say Nate sees this error too?  Any chance it's on the same hardware?
Or on a common-denominator part?  In the set of machines that I could be
said to 'have a finger in', there are a huge number of different UART
parts, but none that seem to generate FIFO overflows without due cause.

> I don't remember when it started, so don't quote me on that.  It's a new
> development in the last 1.5 years or so though.

Sheesh, 1.5 years takes us back to 2.0.  Ancient history 8)